how i create clothing for purusha
1. first i get my blank canvases: white or undyed clothing made in the u.s.a. i try to get organic when i can and i'm hoping in the future to only sell clothing made of organic earth friendly materials.
2. i dye the clothing using only natural plant dyes. right now i am into sandalwood powder, osage orange bark, brazilwood bark, indigo rocks, henna powder, cutch rocks, and kamala powder.
osage orange bark:
3. the dying process can take up to two weeks depending on the colors desired.
clothing in brazilwood dye:
clothing after dying in sandalwood, osage orange, kamala, and brazilwood:
t-shirt dyed in brazilwood:
4. i take photos and paint pictures of things i consider worthy of another look. . .
here is a photo of some windows i thought were cool in santa barbara, ca.
5. i photoshop the design so that i can burn the image unto a screen
6. i build my own screens, put emulsion on them, "burn" the design, rinse the screens, and then use the screens as stencils on the dyed clothing. i mix all my own colors with
only gold, yellow, red, blue, white, and black non- toxic water based ink.
7. i put the design on the dyed clothing in anyway i feel like it! it's fun!
hoodie dyed with brazilwood and silkscreened with window design:
pants dyed with kamala powder, waist dipped in brazilwood, with window design on repeat:
purusha is the brainchild of everything i consider creative and lovely in my life. who am i? i am hayley elliott. i am 25 years old. i live in the hills of connecticut and i am looking towards the seas of california. i live for my dreams.
i love beauty, yoga, being comfortable while challenging myself at the same time, bicycling, animals (especially my yellow lab liam), trees and flowers, the ocean, the sun, evolution, and the cycles of nature.
i wondered for a while how i could ever pick one thing to dedicate my life to. i love so many things! and man, do i love ideas. . . sometimes i just like the idea itself so much and know i have no plan of carrying it out. . .it's just the thrill of the idea!
life is funny how it confuses you! i sometimes thought that i was decent at so many things, but not really very exceptional at one thing. i didn't know that i could take those things and put them all together to build (what i consider) my own work of genius, and be satisfied by it.
what is purusha? it is a sanskrit word that literally means 'man' but metaphorically means 'the soul of the universe, or the eternal breath within all beings' breath'. this is what it looks like in sanskrit:
i use the cosmos and the cycles of nature for my inspiration artistically.
photography+experimenting with plant dyes+yoga+meditation+lounging & sipping tea = time well spent
purusha enables me to be able to use both my heart and my mind in harmony. the dark and the light, the rational and the emotional, the art and the business. . . good things come in pairs. i am learning to dance the fine line between my dreams and reality.
purusha has been in the works for the past 6 months or so, but only now is it about to be born! i gave the clothes their final wash today. . . can't wait for the world to see them!