deep in concentration in my joni mitchell dress.
patrick probably cheating looking online. ;)
hope you all are having a relaxing happy day!
patrick is obsessed with chess. like me, he has a slightly obsessive personality- tehe. but yeah, he's got like at least 5 chess games going on with friends on his phone and we play pretty frequently now.
pat used to refuse to play me because i beat him a few times in a row. but now he's been studying and practicing (i haven't) and has been just kicking my butt. we're playing a 21 game round and so far he's won 3 and i've won 0. boo! looks like i need to practice more. i know very beginner moves and really feel like my brain is going to shut down sometimes when i'm playing. like sensory overload, i just want to lay down and go to sleep haha.
last night we played a match and decided it was invalid. something happened and i moved one of my white bishops to a white square- so both bishops were on white- not right! we were both kinda wined out so we called it quits and watched an episode of seinfeld and passed out. it was lovely.
what i like about chess:
1. that patrick and i both call the knight a horsey
2. making patrick nervous with moves that i didn't even know where good
3. when i'm about to lose and i move a pawn from across the board and take patrick's king- real nonchalantly- and say 'checkmate'. no big deal.
4. saying checkmate like this: check-a-mate-eh. my sister kate and bff colleen and i would say this when we won a level in burgertime on the old nintendo (we were strange children), and at the same time do this odd dangling fist pump, not really a fist pump at all, but like a weak limp wrist attempt at a fist pump.
5. when i lose (which now is every game), throwing a fit and clearing all the pieces of the board in a dramatic swipe of my arm, and then overturning the whole board. it's funny, but it also makes me feel a little better about the loss.
there you have it. chess. patrick loves it because he wins, and i'm thinking i would rather have him win anyways because he takes the losses harder than me!
haha wholescome is another weird word invented by my sister kate-it means 'oh well', pronounced 'holes-come'. try it.
this was my sweet grandfather peepa's chess set. it is very special.
after the game sometimes patrick and i will put the pieces together and laugh, pretending all the pieces are buddies and hang out, mingling in a sort of post game party. how cute!
today i plan on potting amaryllis, grocery shopping, resewing some jeans, and of course- chess!
hope you all have a lovely lovely day and find enough down time for laughter and fun!